To provide, promote, protect and sustain a healthy, strong lifestyle for our Citizens and future generations consistent with the traditional values of the Ta’an Kwäch’än.
On behalf of both Kwanlin Dün First Nation and Ta’an Kwäch’än Council, both Chief Doris Bill and Chief Kristina Kane would like to share a joint message to our Citizens and our Yukon community.
Important notice to TKC citizens
Dear Citizens, on behalf of Chief Kane, Deputy Chief Peters and Council, we would like to share some important information with you. TKC Chief and Council are being updated of the COVID-19 developing situation on a daily basis. The health and wellness of our Citizens remains our number one priority. As we move into this new period, the services provided to Citizens are being adjusted. We are working to ensure help is available to all Citizens. As your needs change and develop please communicate those to us. Let’s take care of each other and especially the most vulnerable. As of the end of March 2020, TKC is taking the following steps:
What Steps TKC is taking for Citizens
- Citizen Monetary Relief for COVID-19: • All TKC Citizens are eligible to receive a one-time payment to assist with the current health emergency. Originally, we intended to provide the funding through e-transfer. Unfortunately, we are in a situation where e-transfer has become unfeasible due to the bank’s limitations. To keep everyone safe, the funding will be deposited directly into Citizens’ bank accounts. If we do not have bank account information, a cheque will be mailed. Pick-up is not possible and there are no exceptions. Please contact Deputy Chief Peters, email@example.com or (867) 334-6363 with the following details for yourself and your children who are under the age of 18 (TKC Citizens): email, full name, birthdate and age, phone number, and address. If you want direct deposit also include: name of bank, bank account # (including transit #, bank branch #, and account #), and social insurance number. Payments will be processed on Fridays. We thank you for your patience as Administration will need some time to gather and process the necessary information.
- Elders Support: We are aware that the needs of the Elders are evolving. Please communicate those needs to us and we will work to support you. This will be evaluated on a case by case basis and could include services such as:
- Picking up and delivery of groceries/prescriptions
- Phone support for those in need of social contact
Services to Elders will be provided depending on staff availability and community restrictions.
Contact Heather Griffiths at (867) 335-0630 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Assistance with Self Isolation/Quarantine: If you need guidance navigating 811 and information on how to self isolate or quarantine, please contact Brianna Bourassa at (867) 332-2298 or email@example.com.
- Navigation of Federal and Territorial Support: TKC is offering a new service to help Citizens navigate federal and territorial emergency COVID-19 funding. TKC’s Citizen Navigator will provide Citizens with up-to-date information on COVID-19 funding options such as Employment Insurance Sick Benefits, Emergency Care and Support Benefits, Canada Child Benefit and the Goods and Services Tax Credit. The Citizen Navigator will provide information on territorial and federal funding eligibility, the application process, and other available resources and relief services. Contact Brianna Bourassa at (867) 332-2298 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Community Hunts: Harvesting of wild foods is being organized in the near term. If you are interested in participating in the community hunt, please contact Denise Gordon at (867) 668-3613 ext.602 or email@example.com for more details.
- Emergency Preparedness: An emergency food supply will be available to Citizens residing in the traditional territory, based on need and local availability of resources. We hope that we will not need to deploy this service in full force, but we are nonetheless ready.
Current Available Services
The Ta’an Kwäch’än Council Office is currently open for limited services only.
Elders Services and Support/
Wellness Manager, Heather Griffiths
Navigating Federal and
Research & Policy Officer, Brianna Bourassa
Elders Fuel Service
Housing Manager, Charles MacQueen
Finance Manager, Andrew Johnston
Communications Officer, Janet Smellie
Front Desk Reception
(March 27, 2020)
Dear Citizens, We appreciate your patience with processing payments. Unfortunately, due to banking constrictions we can no longer do e-transfers and require your banking details. Please contact Deputy Chief Peters for more details firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your patience and understanding in this situation. We will finish the task at hand, it will just require a bit more time. Stay safe and be well.
Work continuity is a priority and we will respond to you as soon as we can.
How to Stay Informed
In order to protect our Citizens from any potential outbreak, TKC will be suspending all upcoming public meetings and gatherings until further notice. We encourage Citizens to visit the links below for more information and personal measures you can take to protect yourself. Cooperation with all public health measures including staying at home and self-distancing from others in your community is critical to the response to COVID-19. If you feel you may have contracted COVID-19, please contact 811 or conduct the online self assessment tool available on Yukon Government’s COVID-19 webpage.
Please watch our website and Facebook for updates. www.taan.ca
Take care and stay safe!
As of the time of this posting all 11 people who contracted COVID-19 in the territory have recovered and there remains no new cases to report.
TKC Chief and Council are briefed on a daily basis by Yukon Health officials, including the Chief Medical Officer of Health, and will continue to update Citizens immediately on any developments.
The health and wellness of our Citizens remains our number one priority. TKC is working on immediate measures to ensure that our most vulnerable Citizens are cared for during this time. In order to protect our Citizens from any potential outbreak, TKC will be temporarily suspending all upcoming public meetings and gatherings until after May 31, 2020. We encourage Citizens to visit the links below for more information and personal measures you can take to protect yourself. Cooperation with all public health measures including staying home and self-distancing from others in your community is critical to the response to COVID-19.
If you feel you may have contracted COVID-19, please contact Yukon Communicable Disease Control (YCDC) for further instructions. Phone: 867-667-8323 or Toll Free (Yukon) 1-800-661-0408 ext. 832.
Symptoms may include:
- Shortness of Breath
There is an increased risk of more severe outcomes for Yukoners:
- Aged 65 and over
- With compromised immune systems
- With underlying medical conditions
The following links are updated daily:
We will keep Citizens informed if circumstances change.